Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14345) Re: Players dialog usability (GTK)

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14345) Re: Players dialog usability (GTK)
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:15:03 -0700

On 2005-10-16, at 15.50, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 12:44:00PM -0700, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>>
>> See the attached screen for my proposition for an improved Players
>> window. The menu should perhaps be on the left side though, to keep
>> the
>> same look as in the Cities window.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Since Freeciv GTK2 requires 1024 resolution anyway to be playable, I'd
> replace the diplomacy menue with 2 button 'redraw vision' and
> 'Spaceship'.
> I have a problem with the text of the cancel treaty button, because
> 'cancel'
> and the symbol you use have a strong association for the common cancel
> button - but have a contradicting function here, it does something
> irrevocable.

Maybe, we could call it "Withdraw Treaty" or "Terminate Treaty"
instead. You're right that the button shouldn't have the stock 'cancel'
icon either.

> Yes, the menue I'd put it on the left.
>
> A general remark to the menue: I see that, in different places, the
> menues
> have been moved from the top to the bottom in 2.0.99. I find this
> unusual,
> unergonomic and strange. Is there a reason for that? Maybe that it
> confuses
> with the main window menue? Mhh.

I think that is the case, yes.

> Besides, I think your change is an improvement.
>
> Christian

Thanks! I haven't been able to make the buttons actually do anything
yet, since I'm quite a lousy programmer. ;-) Something with the
'callbacks' I presume.

Daniel