Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14289) Different Gameloss Outcomes

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14289) Different Gameloss Outcomes
From: "Benedict Adamson" <badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:25:58 -0700

I'm playing with the Ancients mopack, using a Gameloss unit. At present,
if a Gameloss unit is destroyed, all the units and cities belonging to
the losing nation disappear.

I think that is somewhat unsatisfactory. The destruction opens a hole in
the map, which has two effects. First, the nations in play are now much
further apart. Second, any nation adjacent to the hole has the enormous
advantage of a swathe of unoccupied territory becoming available
(Gameloss units usually survive until completion of the initial
colonisation phase). Once this happens, I find it very easy to hinder AI
colonisation, and from then on the game outcome seems inevitable, and
the game therefore not worth continuing.

Perhaps we could have multiple possible outcomes? A ruleset option could
select which was wanted.

Other options should prevent the 'hole' appearing, I think. This means
not eliminating cities and units. One possibility is to convert them all
to barbarians. Another would be to split the losing nation into several
successor states; that could use the normal civil war mechanics. Or
perhaps something in between, with the smaller cities falling into
barbarity; that could use the incite mechanics to choose the cities that
found barbarity most enticing.

Thoughts?