Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14269) Better Control of World Size

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14269) Better Control of World Size
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:31:06 -0700

Benedict Adamson wrote:

> At present the resolution for control of the world size is 1000 tiles.
> This is rather coarse for smaller maps. Some mopacks might work better
> on smaller maps; some people want to play quicker games.
>
> I've noticed that adjusting the world size to compensate for arrival and
> departure of players in the pre-game phase is tricky for on-line games.
>
> I suggest we deal with both of these problems by changing the size
> parameter to be tiles per nation, rather than thousands of tiles.
>
> Thoughts?

Personally, I'd like to be able to set specific really small tile sizes
for testing.  200-tile worlds, for instance.

There is an absolute minimum and an absolute maximum for the map size.
The minimum is uncertain but certainly at least 5x5.  The maximum is
limited by variable sizes: the size (in tiles) may not exceed 2 bytes
and each individual dimension may not exceed one byte.

Now, I'm not sure how this works with a general user interface
(obviously if I was certain I would have written it already).  Some issues:

- Reducing the minimum and increasing the maximum would be nice.  There
are some storage-size issues but not really anthing to worry about.
- If the interface lets the player specify size per nation, then we have
to worry more about the minimum and maximum constraints.  We'd end up
having to clip the final size after doing the calculation.

-jason