Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Illegal flags

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Illegal flags
From: Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:46:27 +0200

I was reading some very old mailing list archives, and came upon a very fierce discussion about a Nazi Germany nation. To make a long story short, the project was rejected because the Nazi swastika flag is banned by law in Germany (depending on context).

Then I came to think about three flags in Freeciv that are potentially controversial in China (PRC): Taiwan (aka Republic of China), Tibet and Turkestan. The two latter being my responsibility. Of these I know for sure that the flag of Tibet is forbidden in PRC. Should we care about whether Freeciv is a controversial software package in PRC or not?

Yet one flag that I have provided but not yet been committed, is the flag of Kurdistan: A flag that is banned in Syria and Iran...

Daniel