Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14182) Unusual nations in scenarious

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14182) Unusual nations in scenarious
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:17:53 -0700

Mateusz Stefek wrote:

>>[jdorje - Wed Oct 05 18:19:11 2005]:

>>>I think my idea is better, because it allows sharing nation files
>>>between rulesets.
>>
>>I don't understand what you mean.  How are nation files shared between
>>rulesets?
>
> I was talking about:
> *include "some nation file"
>
> Some rulesets may want to include elves as a nation in default mode. In
> other rulesets it's better to allow them only in scenarios.

I see your point.  The reason I don't like it is that it adds yet
another place that you have to change when adding a new nation.  There
are too many such places already, and I was contemplating how to get rid
of some of them.

If all nations are allowed, what about dropping the *include entries
from nations.ruleset entirely?  Have a defined nations directory
($data/nation/) that all nation rulesets must be placed in, and allow
the ruleset or scenario to specify which of these are to be loaded.

One problem however will be in the implementation.  Making nations be
loaded in stages will be rather a problem.  Much of the code assumes
ruleset data is constant once it's loaded.  But in your system you have
to do work to unload and reload it if (for instance) /load is called
several times in a row.

-jason