Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13836) Improved Russian nation

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13836) Improved Russian nation
From: "Egor Vyscrebentsov" <evyscr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 03:57:35 -0700

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 02:51:17 -0700
Daniel Markstedt <himasaram@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

DM>For this patch I reinserted leader Stalin, until a Sovieti nation is
DM>committed..
DM>
DM>Is this ready to be applied now?

Well, of course, I'm strongly against the legend - it has at least one
error: there was no siezing. By the (historical) legend Rurik and his
brothers were called to rule.
Besides, Mihail Lomonosov (greatest russian scientist of XVIIIth century)
and many other historicians supposed that this is only a legend, which
is not true (well, I think so too ;).

So, here is my old attempt of new (freeciv) legend
(backward translation from ru.po):
Russia starts its history with Kievan Rus. According to legend, in 862
the Slavs * called Varyags to rule them **. From XIth Rus has disintegrated
into small princedoms, which were integrated into one state by Ivan III
the Great in XVth. After victory over Sweden Petr I called Russia as Empire,
which existed until 1917. After USSR dissolution in 1991 Russia has appeared
on world map again, now as a federative republic.
--
* Well, they were called Slovene or Ilmen's Slavs
** [My english is horrible,] this means that Varyags should rule Slavs.

Several notes:
Sankt-Peterburg is better, IMHO
Ivan III is also Ivan the Great.
[Ivan] the Terrible - not so good translation for Grozny (menacing, threatening
- from Lingvo vocabulary). Ivan Grozny is also Ivan IV.

--
Thanks, evyscr