Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14082) RFC: prohibit troops from unloading onto no

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14082) RFC: prohibit troops from unloading onto non-flat terrains
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 03:24:14 -0700

"Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 03:08:25PM -0700, (Eddie Anderson) wrote:
>>
>>     What if land units (perhaps even marines) were prohibited from
>> unloading (from sea transports) onto mountain and hill tiles?
>> Cities built on mountains or hills would be exempted (or should
>> they not be exempted?).
>
>I think this has some realism, but I would restrict it to mountains. Even
>marines should not be able to attack mountains from the waterside. For
>consistency, cities should not be exempted.

   OK.

>If you impose this for hills, too, this affects game play very much. Half of
>the coast may be hills or mountains. AI builds cities often on hills at the
>coast, so you will encounter hard times to beat them. Cities on mountains
>are rare and usually not very prosperous.

    I'm surprised by this.  Recently on this list, someone wrote
that cities were undefendable.  So I figured that cities
(particularly coastal cities) could use some help in defending
themselves.

>>     The purpose of this is to help make islands easier to defend.
>> Of course, other rule changes could help that too (e.g. shore
>> bombardment rules); but this might be simpler to implement.
>
>Well for this purpose I don't think its the right cure. I even doubt that it
>is necessary. Given a city with city walls, coastal defense, barracks, three
>good defending units and a diplo?

    I think that that would be enough to defend the city against
land assaults.  However, in the absence of bombardment rules, a
couple of veteran battleships might kill all those defenders in one
turn.

>Hhm, does a coastal defense *or* city walls give a defense bonus against
>marines attacking from the sea?

    I don't know.  I would guess that city walls would work since
marines are transported like other land units.  But I haven't tested
it.

Eddie