Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14082) RFC: prohibit troops from unloading onto no

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14082) RFC: prohibit troops from unloading onto non-flat terrains
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 03:24:11 -0700

"Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>This seems pretty much unworkable because of the tiny-island problem:
>some small islands may not be invadable at all until you have marines.

    Would that really be so bad?  I would think that most cities on
tiny islands are unlikely to have much shield production (until they
get offshore platforms or KRC).

    Without much shield production, such cities are not likely to be
the kinds of cities that you can build an empire around.  They're
good for research, trade, and feeding themselves but not for
building military units or wonders.  Consequently, while such cities
may be helpful under smallpox rules, an effective smallpox limiter
would make such cities undesirable.

    I guess the type of game that you want to play figures into this
too.  E.g. if you want a game where you can eliminate some players
early, then this rule would interfere (because it would enable weak
players to hide out in a city on a small island until marines become
available).  But if that's an issue, then perhaps the tinyislands
option could be disabled for such games.

Eddie