Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13859) Data: Antarctican nation

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13859) Data: Antarctican nation
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <himasaram@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 12:14:59 -0700

On 2005-09-06, at 20.28, Jason Short wrote:

> Absolutely.
>
> While I don't think there's a fundamental problem with an unlimited
> number of nations, there is definitely a problem with the interface we
> have to choose them.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> * The "all" group in the dialog should be removed.
>
> * One of the existing nation groups (or a new group "Core" or
> "Default")
> should be made the default, and this group should be limited in size.
> For instance if the nations dialog brought up the "Ancient" group by
> default (which is the smallest of the groups) most of the problem would
> go away.  The group to be brought up by default can be chosen as the
> one
> with the highest matching priority.  This also means this group should
> be preserved by the server as new nations are picked at random.
>
> Note that with maxplayers at 30 15-20 nations won't be enough in all
> cases.  Perhaps the *default* maxplayers should be decreased.
>
> -jason

Here's my take on Jason's ideas:

• The "all" group is placed at the bottom of the list. (It's not
useless as such.)

• Create a "Default" group and chose a number of nations equal to
maxplayers.

Using Ancient as default is an adequate idea as well. The Ancients are
after all the essence of Civilization. ;-)

This ticket isn't really the best place for this discussion. Create
another one?

Daniel