Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13675) Client freeze on metaserver connect

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13675) Client freeze on metaserver connect
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:35:22 -0700

S2.0 CVS 15 AUG 2005 GTK2

My home network is configured in a way, that access to port 80 is possible
*only* via a proxy. Direct connects to port 80 in the outside world are
blocked. I'm not sure right now whether those connections are properly
rejected or only swallowed by the gateway.

When I start civclient from a terminal, where http_proxy is correctly set,
it works fine.

When I start it from within Gnome, where the proxy setting obviously is
*not* correctly set yet, and I click the connect to network button in the
start screen, civclient switches to the connect page and then hangs.
No button works, and the window is not redrawn, before a certain timeout (2
minutes?) was reached.

The same happpens, when I, after the timeout, switch to the LAN page,
curiously where the gateway setting shouldn't matter in this case.

What I would expect from the client, is, 1. a message indicating that an
attempt to make a network connection is performed, 2. a way to stop the
attempt (for the case I just want to make a LAN game without being online),
and 3. the window not stopping redraw (when I switch back and forth the
window I just get a white screen).

Christian