Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13642) New behaviour of upgrade

To: sayenko@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13642) New behaviour of upgrade
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:45:56 -0700

> [jdorje - Thu Aug 11 05:08:53 2005]:
>
> This implementation (hard-coding the names of improvements) is
> unacceptable.  You need to add a new improvement flag or effect.

Ok, I will make the appropriate changes so that the patch consistent
with your development approach.

Besides, I am going to make the a few optimizations of code. At the
moment, the can_upgrade_unitttype() function is used to check whether it
is possible upgrade a unit or not. I have changed it so that it also
checks city buildings. However, there are cases when it is necessary to
know whether it is possible or not to upgrade a unit in general. For
instance, in the Report units dialog. In these cases, I pass NULL as a
third parameter, which makes a code a little bit ugly. So, I am goining
to introduce a new function can_upgrade_unit(), and the implementation
of can_upgrade_unitttype() will be the same as earlier.

> Aside from that I have no opinion on whether this rules change is good
> or not.

I have played one game with these rules. They are really good, at least,
for me. You have to plan more carefully your strategy since you know
that you cannot upgrade a unit in any city. Besides, it adds more
importance to the Barracks, Port facility, Airport, and Leonardo workshop.

Thanks for comments.