Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13638) Client hangs after meeting

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13638) Client hangs after meeting
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:32:23 -0700

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:42:02AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> Christian Knoke wrote:

> > S2.0 CVS 09 AUG 2005 GTK2
> >
> > In a big game I meet with an ally and we agree on sharing vision with each
> > other.
> >
> > At this point, the *client* (not the server) hangs for several seconds.
>
> Sending tile info to the client is very inefficient because the client
> draws about 9x more than is necessary (exacerbated in iso-view).  You
> can see this easily by starting a game, disbanding all your units, and
> seeing how long it takes the client to update.  This is fixed in the dev
> version as the drawing is "queued" so it runs 10-100x faster.
>
> I assume what you're seeing is the same behavior.  This will not be
> fixed for 2.0.

This is possible, but allow me to elaborate on this. I cannot know, but
maybe you can.

Machine: 2 GHz, 4x AGP, enough RAM

Game: Map 210 x 140, some 2300 units, 14 AI, 2 Barbarian + 1 human player

Situation: Player tab on top, meeting dialog above minimap, no map visible.
Meeting with 2 treaties (shared vision), click on accept treaty.

Process info: civlient 34072 MB VSS, civserver 56984 MB VSS

On click, civserver consumes 1 cpu second, civclient 11 cpu seconds. During
this time the client is fully unresponsive, no screen updates are drawn.
I don't see this on new turn starts.

Ah, this is non-iso trident tiles.

Savegame is 860 KB, I'll attach it to the ticket. Way to reproduce: make
reciproce shared vision treaty with the Indonesia (2 clauses).

Christian