Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13638) Client hangs after meeting

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13638) Client hangs after meeting
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:42:02 -0700

Christian Knoke wrote:

> S2.0 CVS 09 AUG 2005 GTK2
>
> In a big game I meet with an ally and we agree on sharing vision with each
> other.
>
> At this point, the *client* (not the server) hangs for several seconds.

Sending tile info to the client is very inefficient because the client
draws about 9x more than is necessary (exacerbated in iso-view).  You
can see this easily by starting a game, disbanding all your units, and
seeing how long it takes the client to update.  This is fixed in the dev
version as the drawing is "queued" so it runs 10-100x faster.

I assume what you're seeing is the same behavior.  This will not be
fixed for 2.0.

-jason