Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Mac OS X installer is not working...

To: Rene Raphael <rene_raphael@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Mac OS X installer is not working...
From: Nathan Brazil <nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:32:04 -0700

It sounds like a problem w/ an Finder-invisible file, .civclientrc, located in your home directory.  It would appear that at some point in the past, you tried to tell the game client to use ESD as your sound engine.  However, as the log says, the only available options are "none" and "sdl".

You can simply delete that file, at which point the game client will create another one w/ default values, or you can try correcting the problem.

If you open that file in a plain text editor, you probably will see a line that says

    default_sound_plugin_name="esd"

Change the string in quotes to sdl if you want sound, or to none if you do not.  Save the file, and try running the game again.

But do remember that the file needs to be in plain text format, not rich text or anything fancy.

Let me know how it goes for you.