Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13454) Bug Report: Can't start a new game

To: gizmosmith@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13454) Bug Report: Can't start a new game
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:22:45 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Matthew Smith wrote:

>>screen for Freeciv. When I click "Start a new game", the window freezes and
>>nothing else happens.
>

> I'm not sure this is related, but I've noticed that this happens whenever
> Freeciv tries to connect somewhere and fails. I tried (stupidly) to host a
> game on my box (which is behind a NAT), and the client would just hang
> forever, responsiveless.
>
> This is really bad.

It's related to PR#12035 where the client blocks connecting to the
metaserver.  I guess it blocks connecting to the server as well.

Matthew: when the client blocks, can you do a:

  ulimit -c unlimited
  killall -SEGV civclient
  gdb civclient core

then inside gdb:

  bt

and send us the output?  (Depending on your system config these commands
 may need modification unfortunately.  If they don't work and you can't
figure out how to fix the commands let us know where you ran into trouble.)

-jason