Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13427) Border size

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13427) Border size
From: "oberon" <oberon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:21:55 -0700

First, I'd like to apologize that this isn't attached to the relevant
thread. Unfortunately, I lack an RT account and have no idea how to do
this otherwise.

As to the actual point of the email: poaching Civ4's border-size system
might not be a bad idea for freeciv. I'm not sure of the specifics, but
the basic idea is that more happy people = larger borders (justifiable
because loyalties extend farther when the nearby city is viewed kindly).
I'd suggest the simplest method is happy citizens (not content) = border
size. This makes a lot of calculations easier -- if there's a border
conflict, whichever border is "stronger" (happy citizens at source minus
distance from source) wins, for example. It also allows the "cultural
conversion" effect from Civ3 -- a city within another civilization's
borders for a certain number of turns defects.

I didn't see this suggested before, but if it has been considered and
rejected, please let me know.

--oberon