Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13351) Meta-ticket: AI and threads

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13351) Meta-ticket: AI and threads
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:36:28 -0700

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> I wouldn't bet on near future CPUs getting much faster. Mostly wider or
> more of them. In fact, it will probably be a good idea to revisit
> multi-threading the AI sometime in the future, despite the fact it is a
> PITA to debug.

Just to get this logged in RT in the appropriate place: The idea discussed
earlier was IIRC to have one separate thread for the server and one for
the AIs. This would increase responsiveness of the server during turn end.

This was only intended for the data calculations and city actions during
the turn end, where the AI actions do not run into synchronization issues.
Doing this for the early turn actions (ie unit movement) would require
huge changes everywhere in the AI, as it was written with the assumption
that things do not change underneath it while it is working.

  - Per