Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13247) national boundaries do not deter aggression

To: sds@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13247) national boundaries do not deter aggression
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:17:07 -0700

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 02:47:04PM -0700, sds@xxxxxxx wrote:
> 1. crossing a national boundary with a military unit is _always_ an
>    act of war (requires cancelling treaty &c).
>    exception: sea (ships can travel everywhere) and aircraft (but not
>    helicopters)

Entering should be grounds for war, but not require war: so, not automatic
war, but you don't lose reputation if you declare war.

Entering national waters and airspace is usually an act of agression in the
real world, so I don't see the need for a special case here.

> 2. crossing a national boundary with a non-military unit is allowed only
>    if there is a special treaty "welcome travellers" (like "map exchange").

How about just a peace treaty (so you can send caravans, for instance).

To make this work, I think we need smaller borders -- 3 or 4 rather than 7
by default.

        -- Benoît