Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13198) Changin Tech when goal is changed

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13198) Changin Tech when goal is changed
From: "Thomas Müller" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 02:37:05 -0700

Am Samstag, 4. Juni 2005 00:53 schrieb Jason Short:

> > [lists@xxxxxxxxxxx - Tue May 31 10:07:18 2005]:
> >
> > So, it looked intentional too me. Althoug i agree, it would be nice,
> > if the
> > points were not lost. I made this patch, and tested it, seems to work.
> > Even
> > if the tech that is choosen randomly can be researched immideatly and
> > you get
> > "none" the next turn, the bulbs seem to be calculated correctly.
>
> Even if it's intentional it's still a bug and should be fixed.
>
> Maybe when you have no research target and you set a goal a research
> target should be assigned to you.  I tend to think not, because you
> might change your goal multiplie times before finalizing one and it
> should be the last one that gets researched not the first one.
>
> -jason

Well, my 2 patches do this, the first sets the research if currently unset and
you set a goal, the second fixes the lost bubbles, when server chooses a
random research.

I think, the research should switch as soon as you give it a goal when its
unset, so you see, what you research first. If you dont like what you get as
research then you can still change it later, and you wont have to pay
techpenalty for it.

I still wonder, how you want to make it research the tech for the last goal...
either you keep research at unset, so the user wont know at all, whats going
to be researched (which is bad i think).
Or you switch the research everytime you switch the goal, but that would be
strange behaviour, since normally research stays unchanged, when switching
goals.

So, imho its the best idea, to set the research as soon as a goal is chosen,
which is what my 2 patches do.

Thomas