Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Install-Windows

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Install-Windows
From: Peter Schaefer <peter.schaefer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 23:42:40 +0200

(Testing the installation instructions ..)

On 5/11/05, Graham Reeds <grahamr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Check out the INSTALL-Windows tutorial that I wrote. It might help.

Hello Graham, thank you.

Works pretty well, but where it stops is a bit weird - the
installation is not obvious.

I did a "make install" and thus installed it under the mingw tree,
but then it doesn't find file - maybe a problem with the windows path
separator. See [1]

I then proceeded to manually recreate the directory structure of
2.0.0, and copied the dlls there. I then get an exception when I
launch it from windows. I notice the libiconv-2.dll is different from
the iconv.dll supplied with the copy of 2.0.0 I have, does the former
one work with win98/dos mode?

Then I tried launching it in MSYS.bash and then everything seems to
work fine, I made a few turns and built a city.

:-)

It is quite possible that I messed up my MinGW install, but I wanted
to try something different to see whether the freeciv compile would
again break in some autoconf action(it did not this time). The
particular details of what I might have broken are that I installed
both msys and mingw to the same dir.

--peter

[1]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
schaefer@PETER /usr/local/bin
$ civclient --debug 3
3: log started
3: GetUserName username is schaefer
3: HOME is g:/HOME
3: settings file is g:/HOME/.civclientrc
3: Reading registry from "g:/HOME/.civclientrc"
3: Booting help texts
3: Data path component (0): .
3: Data path component (1): data
3: Data path component (2): g:/HOME/.freeciv
3: Data path component (3): /usr/local/share/freeciv
3: Could not find readable file "helpdata.txt" in data path.
1: Did not read help texts
3: Could not find readable file "isotrident.tilespec" in data path.
0: No usable default tileset found, aborting!

schaefer@PETER /usr/local/bin
$ find /usr/local -name helpdata.txt -print
/usr/local/share/freeciv/helpdata.txt

schaefer@PETER /usr/local/bin
$ ls -l /usr/local/share/freeciv/helpdata.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 schaefer unknown     64491 May 11 22:10
/usr/local/share/freeciv/helpdata.txt