Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12909) GPL licensing of wiki pages

To: circlemaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12909) GPL licensing of wiki pages
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:52:51 -0700

Martin Pollard wrote:

> I really only meant it as an example, I should have known better that to
> ever mention it.  http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ was a
> better example (credit to vasc for that).

There's nothing wrong with a discussion about it.  However nobody has
been able to point out where the GPL is "shakey" here.  Additionally any
licence which is not mutually compatible with the GPL is out, since we
need to be able to move text back and forth between the wiki and freeciv
sources.  Logically the GPL itself is the licence that is most obviously
mutually compatible.

Yes this means wikipedia text cannot legally be integrated into Freeciv.
 This has been discussed separately, several times.  However note
wikipedia keeps full track of authorship so it is not hard (but may be
tedious) to contact the authors to find out about relicensing.

P.S.  Wiki text is in wikicode which is interpreted by the browser.  The
argument that it's not "code" doesn't really mean anything unless you
define "code".

-jason