Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Open Source multiplayer games

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Open Source multiplayer games
From: Andreas Neus <andreas.neus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:59:32 +0200

Dear FreeCiv developers,

I'm with the Media & Entertainment practice with IBM Business Consulting
Services in Germany and we're doing some research on gaming trends for a
book chapter to be published this fall.

This is not yet decided, but we are trying to get in a small part on Open
Source games (with a preference on mulitplayer-capable projects). FreeCiv
is is one of the games we've found, as wel as Wesnoth and Planeshift. Could
you tell me a few things like the number of probable users (maybe from
downloads), what number of the contributors you would call "active", etc...
(or of course point me to a page where I can find thate...)

Also, if you know of other successful Open Source game development projects
(should support multiplayer, but be more appealing than Nethack...) that we
should be aware of, please let us know. The more we can demonstrate that
this is not only a fringe phenomenon, but could impact the games industry,
the more likely we will have this section in the paper - and of course it
could mean some publicity for you as well.

Thanks!

PS: Here are some samples of things we've written on before around open
source:

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj44-2.html
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/442/neus.pdf
http://www.blender.org/modules/bc2002/Neus-Blender-SPP.pdf