Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12582) gui-win32 disable alpha blending by default

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12582) gui-win32 disable alpha blending by default
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:36:54 -0800

James Canete wrote:

> When trying a recent CVS build of gui-win32 on Win98, I found that the
> AlphaBlend function didn't work, despite it being available.
>
> This patch disables it by default, enabling the fallback ordered dither
> path, and adds a local client option to reactivate it.  It also has a
> couple fixes for caching mask bitmaps and only using alpha blending when
> necessary.

I think that's not the best way to do it, since the fallback will give
very poor results in some cases.  Surely it's possible (though no doubt
painful) to do a run-time check on startup to see if it does the right
thing.

Speaking of which, you could probably do alpha blending in software if
the alphablend function isn't there.  Slow but better than dithering.

Speaking of which, there's probably a library for all of this.  Of if
not there should be.

-jason