Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12532) compile problem - autoconf 2.52 inadequate?

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12532) compile problem - autoconf 2.52 inadequate?
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:22:54 -0800

    I tried to run ./autogen.sh and it failed with an error msg that
complained about "AC_HEADER_STDBOOL" being missing or unknown or
something like that.  IIRC, running ./configure fails the same way.

    I googled AC_HEADER_STDBOOL.  Based on what I learned from that,
it looks like AC_HEADER_STDBOOL is a macro that was introduced in
autoconf 2.54.

    Freeciv's "configure.ac" script specifies version 2.52 of
autoconf.  Autoconf 2.52 apparently does not know about the macro
AC_HEADER_STDBOOL.

    I found two possible solutions/workarounds:

1) I tried removing the line in configure.ac with
   "AC_HEADER_STDBOOL" on it (line 472?).  Then I ran ./autogen.sh
   again.  It appeared to work.

2) I installed autoconf 2.59 and tried it with the original,
   unmodified configure.ac and it worked.

    autoconf 2.54 might also work but I didn't test it.  Getting
2.59 to install was aggravation enough for one day.  FWIW 2.59's
install problems may not be autoconf's fault; emacs appears to be
the problem there.

-Eddie