Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12484) Combining the defense buildings

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12484) Combining the defense buildings
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 02:18:21 -0800

This was suggested by Vasco one day on the irc channel, and I think he is
right: The splitting of the defense building from civ1 to civ2 was a
mistake. City walls are not good enough, and nobody I know builds Coastal
Fortress, ever. The same goes for SAM and SDI. They are grossly expensive
and set you back when you should be doing offensive. Not to mention that
it is a bother to build so many defensive buildings if you want a
somewhat decent defense somewhere.

There are several options here.

1) Combine Walls, Coastal, SAM and SDI into one super-defense building
("City Defense").
2) Combine Walls, Coastal and SAM into a single defense building ("City
Walls"), and leave SDI separate.
3) Combine Walls and Coastal ("City Walls") and combine SAM and SDI ("Air
defense"?).
4) Combine Walls and Coastal only ("City Walls"), leaving SAM and SDI
separate but perhaps cheaper.
5) Don't combine them, just make them cheaper.

Thoughts? I think I favour solution 3.

  - Per