Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12381) Bug: Hitting "q" to create patrol route with ai

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12381) Bug: Hitting "q" to create patrol route with air unit twice crashes the client
From: "GHJ" <gottfriedherold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:28:34 -0800

Hi,

the following bug appears (at least) in the FreeCiv 2.0.0 beta 8 release
(gtk2, built under Debian):

When I select an AWACS and hit q to establish a patrol route, the cursor
changes to the same symbol as when doing the same with a land or sea
unit; the line connecting the current position of the unit with the
cursor position does not appear, however.
(This seems intended behavior so far, because clicking somewhere tells
me that air unit patrols are not implemented yet.)
Hitting "q" a second time to create a "patrol waypoint" triggers an
assertion error:
"civclient: control.c:1040: request_unit_patrol: Zusicherung
»goto_is_active()« nicht erfüllt."

The reason probably is that even if an air unit is selected, in
request_unit_patrol(void)  set_hover_state is called with HOVER_PATROL,
only the line is not drawn and enter_goto_state is not called. The
situation is intended to be resolved in do_unit_patrol_to, which is
called from do_map_click.
If one decides to create a patrol waypoint instead, the air unit case is
not caught and the assertion in request_unit_patrol(void) obviously fails.

I think it would be better to catch the air unit case earlier (maybe
already in key_unit_patrol(void) rather than in request_unit_patrol(void) ).
This would give the additional benefit that the player does not think
after seeing the cursor change that he is supposed to give information
on the patrol target location, which the game ignores anyway.
Giving an error message right away seems better.
(Or better yet, implement air unit patrols ;) )

Thank you for creating such a great game for free,
Gottfried Herold