Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11805) Store chat and notify messages for later retrie

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11805) Store chat and notify messages for later retrieval
From: "Ed Overton" <edoverton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:49:27 -0800

> [per - Tue Feb 22 14:04:45 2005]:
>
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Ed Overton wrote:

> > Instead of tagging a detailed message with an event code, my
> > thinking is to use detailed events to trigger a message.

> It has been suggested before. I am very much in favour of it. It would
> solve the translation problem between client and server (different
> languages in each) and might reduce network bandwith usage.

I guess I'd like to see this ticket head in that direction, then, but I
don't want to duplicate work that's being done on event handling.  Is
that development active?  Should I change this ticket to work on a
preliminary event management system that would (currently) just manage
messaging, or am I going to step on someone else's work?

> > might even be able to generate the message text for itself, and fall
> > back to the server's text when the event is undefined for the client -
>
> Given the frequency of mandatory capabilties, I do not think
> this fallback is necessary.

The two reasons I see for the fallback message are 1) it allows chat
messages to be handled as events, and 2) it allows the a new version of
a server to still pass meaningful messages to an older client (in cases
where there's a new event type known to the server, but not the client).

> > For the event management described in the events page (
> > http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Events ), more detailed events are
> > going to be necessary.

> Ruleset events do not need to use the same system as message events.
> Not that I am saying they shouldn't.

Good point, though I don't see a motivating reason to separate the two.

The way I see it, if something is significant enough to warrant a
message, then it's significant enough that someone somewhere will
probably want to trigger an event off it.

Ed