Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12313) Battle computation questionable

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12313) Battle computation questionable
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:04:02 -0800

Christian Knoke wrote:

> CVS 21 FEB 2005 GTK2 S2_0
>
> Maybe this is a case where the fight computation is wrong - please check.
>
> Battle:   Tank attacks stack of 20 howitzers
> Ruleset:  default
>
> Details:    Tank     Any of 20 howitzers (identical)
> Attack:     10       12
> Defense:     5        2
> Firepower:   1        2
> Hitpoints:  30       30
> HP (act.):  30       30
> Movepoints:  3        2
> MP (act.):   2       (unknown)
> Veteran:     1.75     1.50
>
>   Boni:
> fortified:  no       no (F, not X)
> Hills:      --        1.5
> River:      --        1.5
>
> Attack value (Tank):        10 * 1 * 1.75 = 17.5
> Defense value (Howitzer):   2 * 2 * 1.5 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 13.5
>
> Winning chance displayed in popup: 45% (!)
>
> Actual winner in game: Howitzers

Hills are x2, not x1.5.  (This comes from the defense_value of 20 in the
ruleset.  I guess this is not a per-cent but is a per-deca or something.)

So it is instead (with the "internal" factor of 10 added on):

Attack: 10 * 1 * 1.75 = 175
Defense: 2 * 2 * 2 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 180.

> Statistical test:
>
>   Don't know how to do. From savegame reproducible, tank wins with 10 HP
>   remaining. Inserting other battles before, changes this. I didn't check
>   this systematically.
>
> Note:
>
>   I saved exactly before the battle. So why isn't the result the same after

Saving and loading affects results, because the loaded game doesn't have
exactly the same state (some values aren't saved) and sometimes loading
the game itself will invoke new random calls.  This has defied all of
our attempts to fix it.

-jason