Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12264) Government helptext

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12264) Government helptext
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:56:16 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Finally, dynamically created government helptexts :)
>
> I think perhaps the output is more interesting to most than the
> patch itself, so please read the below and comment. The text will be in
> addition to and after any helptext in the ruleset.

Yay.

Lots of comments here.  These are based on my memory of the governments
as well as just making sure things are simple and clear.

> * Each of your cities will support as many units without paying
> their Shield upkeep as its city size.

That's not quite accurate.  The limit isn't on the number of units but
on the number of shields.  So if each unit took 2 shields to support
you'd only get size/2 units.

* Each of your cities gets as many free units of shield support as its size.

> * You do not pay Gold upkeep for any of your units.

Huh?

> * Each worked tile will yield a maximum of 2 Food when not
> celebrating.
> * Each worked tile will yield a maximum of 2 Shield when not
> celebrating.
> * Each worked tile will yield a maximum of 2 Trade when not
> celebrating.

That's wrong.  Irrigated wheat or oasis will still give you 3 food, for
instance.

* Each worked tile that gives more than 2 <output> will suffer a -1
penalty when not celebrating.

> * Trade production will suffer waste."

Isn't this true under all governments?  Can we give some sort of
percentage here?  I know the manual lists a "maximum waste" % for each
government.

> Communism:
> "Requires Communism.

Maybe "Requires Communism technology."?  Every government XXX requires
XXX so it's a bit unclear.  IMO it's unclear to have two different game
elements have the same name at all...

> First unhappy citizen due to civilization size will come when you
> have 12 cities.

Hmm, and the next?  Does communism have no second unhappy citizen?

And, how does this "unhappy citizen" work?  Is that one unhappy citizen
per city, or one extra unhappy citizen total?

> Features:
> * You may impose martial law.  Each military unit inside a city, up
> to a maximum of 3, will keep 2 unhappy citizen(s) content.  (Or at
> least, unhappy citizens will act content, and will not cause
> disorder.)

I'd just rephrase this.

* You may impose martial law.  Each military unit inside a city, up to a
maximum of <n>, will cause <m> unhappy citizens to behave content.

(or maybe it should be contentedly?)

> * Each worked tile will yield 1 additional Trade when celebrating.

* Each worked tile with at least 1 trade output will yield 1 additional
trade when the city is celebrating.

> * Diplomats will be veteran when built.

"Diplomatic units"?  This includes spies right?

> * Partisans may appear when cities are taken by the enemy.

But only after gunpowder and communism (the partisan_reqs from the
ruleset) are discovered.

> Features:
> * Military units may cause unhappiness.
> * Military cause 2 times normal unhappiness.

"Military units away from home (including field units at home)"

> * You may grow your cities by means of celebrations.  Your cities
> must be at least size 3 before they can grown in this manner.

Is celebration explained elsewhere?

> * Government will fall if any city is in disorder more than two
> turns in a row.

"will fall into anarchy"

> * Units and cities cannot be bribed or incited.

A little unclear.

* Your units and cities cannot be bribed or incited.

> The waste message is quite uninformative, but turning the insane
> parameters of the waste options into something intelligible on the fly is
> IMHO a rather difficult task.

Ahh, I suppose.  Could we get a maximum waste % though?

jason