Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12203) RFC: changes to city-building messages

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12203) RFC: changes to city-building messages
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:52:26 -0800

When a city builds a building or unit, one or more messages are sent to
the client.  An experienced can control these messages to some degree
via the messages dialog, but I haven't been able to find any combination
that is both short and not confusing.  The default settings for what
messages are shown are too verbose.

Example of messages:

   "Wilmington has finished building Musketeers."
   "Wilmington has finished building Library."
   "Wilmington is building Marketplace."
   "Wilmington is building Marketplace (worklist)."

   "Wilmington can't build library from the worklist.  Purging..."
   "Wilmington can't build research lab from the worklist; tech not
    yet available.  Postponing..."
   (etc., etc.)

The latter messages come from the worklist but many of them don't use
the E_WORKLIST event.  They should all use E_WORKLIST and E_WORKLIST
should not be displayed by default.

The former messages are bad because they use two lines where one would
do.  Additionally they use different event types, all of which are
enabled by default.  These should be merged into one message:

   "Wilmington has finished Musketeers; next up Marketplace (advisor)."
   "Wilmington has finished Library; next up Marketplace (worklist)."

Chris had the idea of merging events from different cities:

   "Wilmington, Raleigh, and Charlotte have finished Musketeers."

the problem with this is that you can no longer associate an (x,y) value
with the event so you can't double-click to get to the city.  Maybe we
could have something more powerful like double-clicking selecting all
the cities from the cityreport.  But without something like this we
should stick to one tile per event.

Oh, I skipped the "Game:" prefixes in all this which I assume Per is
going to remove.

-jason