Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11982) Additional problem with units and transferred c

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11982) Additional problem with units and transferred cities
From: "Don Dresser" <djd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:04:46 -0800

NOTE:  This maybe should be combined with bug 2834, while the behavior
is a little different and the code is probably in a separate place, a
common solution probably makes sense.

When playing a game, I negotiated with an AI player to transfer several
of his cities to me.  One of his cities supported a Galleon, which was
at that point on the high seas, carrying a land unit supported by a
different city.  I now have this galleon carrying a hostage around and
am unsure how (or whether) the unit can be unloaded - and the AI has
lost use of the unit.

It would seem to me that either A) all units aboard transports should be
immediately returned to their home cities if the ownership of the
transport changes, B) any transport is given immediate orders that send
it to a square adjacent to the nearest coastal city from its original
civilization, where all units will unload - the new owner will not
actually be able to control the unit until it is empty, or C) any
transporting unit which is carrying units from other cities will not be
transferred with its home city - instead it will be i.) eliminated
(along with all units on board), ii.) made into a "homeless" unit, or
iii.) transferred to the nearest city with at least 2 surplus
production.  While I like approach B the best - I suspect that is the
one that is, by far, the hardest to code, so one of the others may make
more sense.

Feel free to contact me if you need any additional information.