Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11879) researchspeed & -cost

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11879) researchspeed & -cost
From: "Sami Takanen" <stakanen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 19:45:04 -0800

First, Thank you very much for a great game! It's almost all I play :)

I like the new way of handling research where researchcost depends on the
quality of the technology. It is far more realistic. But few issues arise:

1. Research Speed in Demography
- Not exactly a bug, but a nuisance:

Should the Research Speed in Demography be shown in "pts/turn" instead of
percentage, because the speed changes a lot depending on what you research.

2. Researchcost -option default value

Also should the default value for researchcost -option be a bit higher thank
10? (I use value 50 in a game against AI, and it seems realistic, muskets and
cannons in year 1600)

I am using 2.0.0 beta6

---
(off topic)

Also, not bugs but a features I personally would like to see. (maybe version
2.1?) :)

1. Fair Trade evaluation

Some kind of evaluation for diplomatic exchange and an option to force it,
would be great. By this I mean that some flag shows if the current diplomatic
action is fair. And an option for forcing only fair trade. (We had a 24h
turnblocking game where we agreed not to trade technology because of possible
tech-alliances between RL friends. Would be nice to have this in in-game
mechanics)

For Example:
- gold value per lightbulb of the traded techs
- gold value for city size
- gold value for city improvements
- gold value for units (I know it isn't implemented, but one can hope ;))
- gold value for maps (per new unmapped square)

2. Yearadvance

Because researchspeed is adjustable, it would be great to have "yearadvance"
-option also. Maybe just few alternative options for how the years advance.
This way you could have massive wars with just knights and catapults and such
without the progress changing them to rifles and tanks in one war :) Would be
great for a massive historic online game.

Most basic implementation would be to scale the current yearadvance method to
match researchcost.

For Example
1. default: 100 years -> 50 years -> 10 years -> 5 years (?)
2. Slow: 50 years -> 10 years -> 5 years -> 1 year (?)
3. Static: 1 year
4. Automatic: scaled from researchcost

Best Regards and Sorry for the long (partially off-topic) post,
Sami Takanen
stakanen@xxxxxxxxxx

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/