Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11760) revolution in anarchy

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11760) revolution in anarchy
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:00:58 -0800

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 08:29:09AM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> > > True but it doesn't extend the length of the anarchy.  And this could
> > > serve some purpose: to change the target government at the end of the
> > > anarchy.  You might want to change your target government from Monarchy
> > > to Republic if you just acquired republic or to Anarchy if you expect to
> > > acquire republic next turn (you want to have another turn of anarchy
> > > rather than going into monarchy and needing a second revolution).  Of
> > > course both are rare except in team games.
> >
> > Yes, but there is no feedback if you choose these items. And it is not clear
> > from the menu that you are already in revolution.
>
> If you are already in revolution the government type is anarchy and this
> is quite user visible via the icon.

1. When I give a menu command I want some feedback. There is none. There
should be a message like: "Your nation already undergoes a period of
revolution and is now targeted for Republic", either as a message or as a
popup.

2. The items end in "..." and you expect to see a dialog. Either you get one
ore the "..." change to "!".

3. I *think* the "Revolution..." command simply does nothing. Or does it
prolonge the anarchy by at least 1 turn, as your above comments suggest?

4. Of course it is important that you can change the target while in
anarchy, this should stay.

5. A good solution in my eyes was a revolution dialog, that tells you  a)
what government your are in  b) what government you are targeting for (when
in anarchy)  c) when the revolution did start and  d) why(!) and  e) when it
probably will end, and  f) give you a combo box to choose the/another target.
With such a dialog, the various government form menu items will be obsolete.

6. I forgot, an option "show me this dialog again anarchy comes to an end".

Christian