Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11768) Unrespansiveness at Win98

To: abudhabi2@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11768) Unrespansiveness at Win98
From: "James Canete" <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 02:10:35 -0800

Although I've never actually had the client lock up completely, it does
occasionally freeze for a few seconds on me while it's parsing all the
incoming packets.

The situation is that the network code is placing messages onto the
windows message queue faster than the main loop can respond to them.
This leads to user interface messages getting lost.

Here's a patch that changes the main loop.  Instead of putting the
network code on a timer, it calls it once, then it deals with all the
messages on the win32 message queue.  It still occasionally freezes, but
with much less frequency.

-James Canete