Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11570) Suggestion: sentry mode modification

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11570) Suggestion: sentry mode modification
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:21:39 -0800

Hi,

I want to suggest a slight modification of the sentry mode (for HEAD).

Background:

  Long time I only have been using fortify mode. Sentry mode was
for loading ships.
  Now we have 'L' mode for loading ships.
  Sentry is useful for being alerted on enemy approach, and it is useful for
being notified of unit healing, and it is useful for unit handling with
resp. commands 'find nearest' and 'awake others on tile' (shift-w or
ctrl-center click on tile).
  So I can set units apart, either on (F)ortify when they are for defence
only, (A)utoattack dito, or (S)entry when I intend to use them in an attack.

  Sentried units are alerted (waken up) when enemy units approach. So,
whenever an enemy ship crosses my coast, all sentried units wake up. This
can require a lot of time for handling, especially when battles are around
(and you need your time for it).

So I suggest this change: Sentried units only wake up when

- other nation units are in sight which I'm in war with *and*
- my unit is able to attack the approaching unit.

So, land units on boats (on the ocean) do not wake up.
Land units do not wake up when a ship or airplane approaches.
Units do not awake when a friend or neutral approaches.

This would turn sentry mode into a more useful element for unit handling, I
think.

Notabene: maybe there is more that can be changed with the modes, for
example we could introduce a (F)ortify mode for ships.

Christian