Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9430) Re: Re: (PR#10848) Units upgraded by Leonardo's

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx, matt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, wmerriam@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9430) Re: Re: (PR#10848) Units upgraded by Leonardo's Workshop loose their Veteran/Hardended/Elite status
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:32:41 -0800

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 06:52:43PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> Matt Moen wrote:
> >
> > At least with version 2.0.0-beta2.
> >
> > Upgrading by shelling out gold doesn't cause this problem.
>
> This is a long-time rule.  I think it's a bug.  But I'd like to know why
> the rule was there originally before changing it.

Hello Jason,

I think this rule exists because it exists in Civ2. And I think it has been
a bug in Civ2, too.

Currently, upgrading for money keeps vet state, Leonardo's does not.

With new veteran levels, Leonardo can be a real pitfall.

That's why, I think, we should fix it now.

If we don't, we need to fix the documentation. More complaints to come.

What we can do next is, discuss, whether upgrading in general should keep
vet state or, with vetlevels>1, should decrease the vet level by 1, eg.

Christian