Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11351) ferry loading needs more UI support.

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11351) ferry loading needs more UI support.
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 08:29:54 -0800

Currently, it seems that the load command puts the unit onto the first ferry in
the
city's unit list.  This is sometimes OK, but often not: consider a city where I
have a
trireme with 0 MP left, and some transports with all their MP left.  There is
no way
for me to avoid units loading onto the trireme, short of disbanding that ferry.

An easy fix would be to take the ferry with the most MP.  This still might not
be
what you want, but it's more likely to be correct.  Not perfect: if I'm sending
the
ferry far, then I'd want to have a faster ship even if it has fewer MP left
this turn.
Also, I might want to put certain units on certain ships.

To allow total control, the 'list present units' dialog could allow dragging
units
between ferries.  It should probably be a ruleset thing to decide whether you
should be allowed to do that at sea (you could hack this effect in civ1 and end
up with, essentially, railroads across the seas).

This leaves open the issue of which ferry to use when moving units from land to
sea, but I very rarely have trouble with that, so maybe we can just ignore it
or just
use the most MP rule.