Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11292) Locks on Tax Rate dialog should be remember

To: craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11292) Locks on Tax Rate dialog should be remembered between governments.
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 05:01:27 -0800

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:12:38PM -0800, craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Locks on Tax Rate dialog should be remembered between governments.
>
> The lock on the tax rates dialog are not respected when governments
> change. When this happens, it appears that there is an automatic rule
> to maximize science, taxes, and luxuries in that order.However, when I
> set a lock, I often want that remembered since I am doing this for a
> purpose. For instance, when I am keeping my population happy by
> setting the luxuries high I have set locks on the luxury percentage in
> the Tax Rates window. However, when I switch to a Republic, the
> numbers change and my cities go into revolt. I then discover that the
> lock on the percentage has been removed and the game has reset ALL of
> these items instead of respecting the one I have set.

The maximize science function has been introduced as a feature for people
who forget to do this by hand, after a government change.

I also have thought often that this could be done more sensible. For
example, if I have tax maximized (to 70% in monarchy) I most probably want
that still maximized (to 80%) in Republic. Also, if I have some luxury, a
government change can easily throw all my cities out of CMA control.

I think this is done in the server, not the client. What about this simple
rules:

1. Keep any luxury that is established.

2. Change tax or science rates only when they are at maximum before the
   government change or if they are over the new maximum, and put them to
   the new maximum in these cases.

- Inform the user when the rates have been changed.

- Suggest to the user to adapt or optimize the rates for the new government.

As for the client, the rate locks are even lost when you close the dialog. I
think they could be part of the client settings.

A rate lock setting in the client that can not be kept any longer due to a
new government, should be deleted, and (if possible) the user should be
given a message.

These things are too important to not inform the user appropriately.

Christian