Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11237) assertion in attribute.c - cannot join to game

To: lukasz@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11237) assertion in attribute.c - cannot join to game
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:12:16 -0800

> [lukasz@xxxxxxxxxxx - Sun Nov 28 16:25:23 2004]:
>
> Hello
>
> I've found bug(I think it's a bug) in civclient. It's longturn game.
> Today when I tried to join to it, I got the message: (using freeciv2
beta3)

> civclient: attribute.c:237: unserialize_hash: Assertion `inserted' failed.
>

> steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. launch civserver (freeciv2 or freeciv 1.14.x)
> 2. load ee.sav.gz (attached)
> 3. connect to it as 'maho'
> 4. start game
>
> result: assertion given above will appear.

I've seen this bug from time to time, and it's nasty.  I have no idea
how to deal with it.  Attributes are fundamentally undebuggable (and
therefore evil).  We could provide a client option to disable
attributes, so someone who ran into the bug - if they knew what to do -
could enable this option to bypass it.  Or we could try to disable
attributes on-the-fly instead of the assertion.  Or maybe we could even
remove the assertion entirely and it might work (but I doubt it).

jason