Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11141) Output Window and Message Window should be clea

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11141) Output Window and Message Window should be clearly indicated in some way.
From: "craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:36:09 -0800

Output Window and Message Window should be named better or indicated
in some way.

I (and many of my co-players) modify the way we get notifications
about events in Freeciv. Often, the scrolling window at the bottom of
the main window is enough and we want the popup scrolling menu to
contain only events we find actionable. However, when we go to change
this, none of us can ever remember which one is the "output" window
and which one is the "message" window. As a usability issue, these
windows should be named better (or since I can't think of better names
myself), perhaps the scrolling window at the bottom of the main window
could have a small title somewhere to indicate which one it is.

Impact: Usability annoyance. I have chosen the wrong one several
times. Once I discover my mistake, I then have to reselect all my
options, which is very confusing and time-wasting.

Build: Freeciv 2.0 Beta 4
OS: Linux (Fedora Core 2)
Hardware: IBM T21 Laptop (Pentium 2, S3 Savage Video Driver, 256 MB
   RAM, 60 GB Hard Disk)