Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11098) Belgian nation could use better king names

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11098) Belgian nation could use better king names
From: "Filip Van Raemdonck" <mechanix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 02:32:48 -0800

Version: 2.0.0-beta4

Hi,

It's nice to have a Belgian nation added in FreeCIV, however, the king names
could be described as - at least - sensitive.

'Baudouin' is the French name of our previous king. Given that the majority
(over 60%) of the country is Flemish, I think using this name would cause
quite a stir. I think it is better to include both names - his Dutch name
'Boudewijn' and the French version 'Baudouin'. Or just leave him out
altogether.

Similarly, we've had 3 kings called Leopold. Of all three, the one chosen in
the list of kings in FreeCIV - Leopold III - is undoubtedly the most
controversial: he has been considered collaborating with the Germans during
WWII - especially in the Walloon (French-speaking) part of the country,
which led to his exile after the war in 1945 and riots after his return in
1950, and eventually he abdicated in favour of Boudewijn.
It would probably be more prudent to list Leopold I or II instead, or just
Leopold without an ordinal.

Finally, Albert is about the only sensible king in the current list. Only
thing is that it is ambiguous because their has been a king Albert I in the
beginning of the 20th century, while the current ruler is king Albert II.
Then again, listing without an ordinal is not really an issue I guess.

Regards,

Filip

--
"From a security perspective, Bluetooth is a disaster waiting to happen."
        -- Martin Reynolds