Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10930) i18n in ukrainian: "Translated name is too

To: ktocomp@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10930) i18n in ukrainian: "Translated name is too long. Aborting."
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:24:33 -0800

Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 05:38:23PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>This is actually quite easy to fix.  We already have a name and
>>name_orig field.  All we have to do is change the name field (the
>>translated value) to be a pointer instead of an array.  Less code, less
>>memory, very pretty.
>

> how does the network code like this?

The network code doesn't care.  It sends the untranslated string anyway.

I think in the future we should do away with the translation function in
game.c.  Packhand and ruleset code should do the translation directly on
load.  This would cut out a few more lines of code and make things more
consistent.  However we first need to change the ruleset code to look at
the name_orig value rather than the name value when it wants the
untranslated string.

jason