Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10771) freeciv is unplayable at 800x600

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10771) freeciv is unplayable at 800x600
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:37:02 -0700

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 11:55:49AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> The minimum window height is about 625.

This is not the only problem. I my current game, the city window (in which
case, this is an actual bug, I think) uses to be about 1000 pixels wide. The
city report, as well as the player report, exceed 800 px as long as they are
supposed to display useful information.

Also note, that with translations, a lot of places are even wider. This is
an immanent problem of translations, because many languages tend to have
just longer words for their english counterparts, and abbrevations are not a
solution.

But aside from this, a window based game only comes handy if there is
additional place to *move* windows and see beside them.

> As for 640x480 - forget it.

I'd say, even drop 800x600. And stand to it (put it as requirement).

In the past years, I often have reclaimed for usability in 800x600. With
GTK2 client, this didn't had much effect, for the sake of optical and
usability improvements I wouldn't want to miss now.

I'd say, just keep trying to make windows reasonable small, and don't waste
space. But don't claim that playing Freeciv in 800x600 is big fun any
longer.

Freeciv requirements have grown in other ways, too. Say CMA vs. CPU. No PC
has been sold with an display smaller than 1024px in the last years. My old
200 MHz box standing in the corner, which used to have a 15'' CRT is too
*weak* to run today's Freeciv.

Christian