Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10717) Incomplete Redraw in City Report

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10717) Incomplete Redraw in City Report
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:21:32 +0100 (WET DST)

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 09:40:28AM -0700, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:
> >
> > > this is now for several months, not sure if it has been mentioned before.
> > >
> > > When opening the city report, then change the sorting by city size, the
> > > window is not redrawn completely, which looks bad and is irritating.
> > >
> > > The attached PNG shows the window, after I hovered with the mouse over it,
> > > partially. So, obviously, when you trigger a redraw by other means (GUI)
> > > everything looks nice again.
> > >
> > > In one case (just after start), I also saw that the not actually redrawn
> > > part of the next was in german, which may give you a hint where this bug
> > > comes from (or not).
> >
> > This is probably a GTK+ library bug. Did you get it after you upgraded
> > your OS? I have seen all sorts of issues with labels and text in early
> > 2.4.x versions. Perhaps later 2.4.x versions fix it. The most recent
> > version is 2.4.13. If upgrading the library doesn't fix it, this needs to
> > be reported to the GTK+ development team.
>
> 1. I have plain Debian Sarge here:
>    checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.2.1... yes (version 2.4.10)
>
> 2. I don't see these redraw problems with other GTK2 programs (like Gimp
>    2.0)
>
> 3. Do you really think 2.4.10 makes this?
>
> 4. I don't like the idea of updating GTK too much.
>
> 5. I can reproduce the flaw with the attached savegame like this:
>    (or with any, probably)
>    # civlient
>    load saved game, start
>    open city report
>    change size (Sz) sorting by clicking on the column header
>    moving the cursor to the lower right window corner

I cannot tell you for certain if it is a GTK+ flaw, but it certainly seems
like one. The 2.4.13 changelog makes me think this was fixed in that
version:

Overview of Changes from GTK+ 2.4.11 to GTK+ 2.4.13
* Fix size allocation problems. [Chrispin Flowerday, Tim Janik,
 Tommi Komulainen, Owen Taylor]
* New and updated translations (fr,ta)

Your issue seems to me like a size allocation bug. Trying to provide a
workaround hack for this from Freeciv's side would be, to say the least,
extremely difficult. This sort of bug is deeply inside GTK+ internals.

---