Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10511) infinite loop in creating starting position

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10511) infinite loop in creating starting positions
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:57:05 -0700

Benedict Adamson wrote:

> Jason Short wrote:
>
>>This patch improves that.  I'd be rather surprised if starting position
>>placement ever fails after this.  Of course you may end up with a game
>>that's not playable.  But at least you'll have learned your lesson, and
>>won't blame the game.  It should be applied to both branches.

> I am unable to apply this patch to the development or stable branches.
> Do I need another patch first?

The problem is there have been changes to this code since I made the patch.

You do a cvs up -D "..." to the date when the patch was originally
created, then apply it.  More useful would be to update it to current CVS.

As Marcelo points out this is just a workaround for the problem.  IMO it
is far better to have a bad map then to get a crash - so long as there's
a message so that the user knows it.  It would be even better to rerun
mapgen from scratch, but there's the possibility of an infinite loop if
we never get a usable map (with sufficiently small landmass this may be
possible).

jason