Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9064) Re: Patch: Expulsion of enemy units from territo

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9064) Re: Patch: Expulsion of enemy units from territory
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:58:21 -0700

[use_less - Tue Jun 22 08:42:36 2004]:
> This patch implements forced expulsion of enemy units from a player's
> territory.  This patch depends on PR#9006, player_in_territory().
> Once an expel command is sent, the player is given one turn to remove or
> disband all their units in the other player's territory.  If this time
> elapses, that player autodeclares war.  If the expel command was sent
> when the player has already ended his turn, the autodeclaration is
> made at the end of the next turn.
> If war is prevented by a player's senate, all units in the other
> player's territory are automatically disbanded.  I think this
> functionality is not working at present, though.

That is because the senate does not stop war, it merely throws you into
anarchy and dissolves itself when it objects.

> - You can still force an expel even if you're at cease fire.  This
> should probably have an exception.

What kind of exception?

> - Should the expulsion always be on the next turn, or should a timeout
> be involved?

I think the timeout button should be unset whenever an ultimatum like
this is presented. See Thomas Strub's patPR#3565 for info on how to do this.

> - Think up a way to prevent expel spamming, perhaps only one expel
> demand per turn?

You can spam in a number of other ways anyway, so I do not think a fix
for this should be done here.

> - If a player's intruding unit has already spent their move points and
> he hasn't hit end turn, an expulsion demand can force him to disband
> that unit.

Too bad.

> - Forcing someone to disband all their units if they can't exit the
> territory in time is a bit harsh.  Perhaps a "withdraw" command to
> automatically teleport your units to the nearest city/cities?  Though
> this can be easily abused to "recall" your units.

Recall is bad.

> - Right of Passage treaties.

Right of passage can come later. Something needs to be done about
ceasefire. Senate handling is also not good, I think. Player
notification is not obvious enough, but this is a more general problem.
The gtk2 client should be supported.

  - Per