Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10206) Copyright, patents and fictional nations

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10206) Copyright, patents and fictional nations
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:09:16 -0700

Mateusz Stefek wrote:

> We have to remove these nation:
> - dunedain
> - mordor
> - elvish
> - hobbit
> - martian

We don't have to worry about copyrights or patents; this certainly falls
under "fair use".  All we need to worry about is trademarks, and
probably only registered US trademarks.  The only offending name I could
find (I didn't look hard) was "Frodo Baggins" - which is okay to remove
since he was never a leader anyway :-).  We may also want to rename
"hobbits" to "halflings".

Note that NetHack has hobbits.  Angband has hobbits, as well as using
lots of names from the middle earth books.  Do we need to hold ourselves
to a higher standard just because we're higher profile?  I don't know.

There is an online searchable database of registered US trademarks, but
I forget the URL...

jason