Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10076) Crash under Mac OS X

To: dylanl@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10076) Crash under Mac OS X
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:41:31 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

> Mateusz Stefek wrote:

>>>[dylanl@xxxxxxxxxxx - Sun Sep 12 23:57:55 2004]:
>>>
>>>I compiled the source code on Mac OS X Panther's x11, using the
>>>commands ./configure --with-included-gettext and make install to
>>>install Freeciv (from source) and whenever I try to zoom in on a
>>>village, the game crashes.
>>

>>(OT)
>>Someone uses included gettext. We cannot remove it.
>
> Yes we can.  They can just as easily install gettext as freeciv.  We
> even have a tarball for download in our FTP.  In particular, it's
> possible the included gettext is the cause of the problem...

Although, installing both gettext and iconv is harder.  You have to
install first one, then the other, then the first again.  Each has an
"optional" dependency on the other - one that we probably rely on.  (We
certainly rely on gettext supporting iconv.  I don't know why iconv
supports gettext.)

Which probably means --with-included-gettext doesn't work if iconv is
installed but not gettext.  Ugh!  One possible solution is to include
gettext in the distribution as well, but this may be a problem since it
has lots of data files (for the charset conversion routines).

This also means if you're on a system that is missing one tool (like
Solaris, where iconv appears to be broken) and you use gettext as well,
you probably need to install both.

But this is all speculation.  Someone should test it.

jason