Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10027) (civclient:12460): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gt

To: brett.albertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10027) (civclient:12460): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktextbuffer.c: line 548: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 12:08:09 -0700

Brett Albertson wrote:

> I'm getting the following message:
>
> (civclient:12460): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktextbuffer.c: line 548:
> assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
>
> This is a GTK2 client on Solaris with the current CVS code.  I wasn't
> getting this message using the CVS code from 2 days ago.

First, make sure you have updated code and rerun autogen.sh.

Next...

Do you have iconv installed?

What is the result of "cat config.h|grep ICONV"?

What is the result of "echo $LANG" and "locale"?

If you enable this code in utility/fciconv.c:

   #ifdef DEBUG
     /* FIXME: Remove this output when this code has stabilized. */
     fprintf(stderr, "Encodings: Data=%s, Local=%s, Internal=%s\n",
               data_encoding, local_encoding, internal_encoding);
   #endif

what does it output (for server and client)?

Finally, are you sure you don't have an old installation lying around
whose data is being used?  I don't know exactly in what order the server
searches for ruleset files, but if it's using an old nation ruleset this
would cause the above error.

(These same instructions apply to anyone else who is getting charset
problems.)

jason