Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10022) further improvements to autosettlers

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10022) further improvements to autosettlers
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:21:26 -0700

I'm thinking from the perspective of a player, not the AI.

The road_bonus should be dropped for human players.  This is the bonus
that attempts to determine the value of connecting the civilization.  Of
course Greg and I have been planning to rewrite this so it actually
creates an optimal network.  But even then I think human players
shouldn't get it.  It's easy enough for the human to connect their civ
by hand (using (c)onnect) and use autosettlers for terrain improvement.

evaluate_improvements should look two steps into the future.  This
actually shouldn't be that hard - for instance it's already done for
road+rail.  Ideally we could put the operations (activities) into an
array and cut the amount of code way down.

We could even look three or four steps into the future.  If the code is
well-written this should just be a #define, and may depend on AI
difficulty level.  Of course with exponential growth of the branches 3
steps will take about 10x longer than 2 steps.  However there are some
operations (transform + irrigate + irrigate + road, transform + mine +
road + road) that could be pretty long.

jason